Working with communities, we empower people to move from poverty to cultural, social and economic prosperity.
About Our Cause
Everything Bissell Centre does is grounded in its vision of eliminating poverty.
Impossible? Can’t be done? That is the same things that were said to Edison and the Wright brothers. Where would we be today if they believed those things could not be accomplished? When we believe something is impossible, we act as if that is true and as a result we make it true—it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
However, if we believe something is possible, we begin to take actions that align with that belief, and that’s when interesting things begin to happen—just ask the 6,000 people that have found homes in Edmonton through the 10 Year Plan to End Homelessness.
How will we know when we have succeeded in eliminating poverty? What exactly does a poverty free community look like? Bissell Centre believes a community without poverty will see:
• Families and individuals have sustainable livelihoods, secure housing, and can meet their basic daily needs.
• Families and individuals are fully engaged in their community because of strong support networks, a sense of safety, and improved physical and mental health.
• Families and individuals have hope for the future.
• Individuals have access to the resources and opportunities they need to reach their full potential and participate equally within in the community.
• Diversity is celebrated in a spirit of mutual respect and dignity.
Our Strategy: https://bissellcentre.org/about/#bissellstrategy
Our Values: https://bissellcentre.org/about/#bissellvalues
Our Key Practice Philosophies: https://bissellcentre.org/about/#bissellpractices
Our Financials: https://bissellcentre.org/about/resources/
Our Latest Newsletter: https://bissellcentre.org/news/